Use this page for tips to achieve the best search results when searching for students and educators.
Here are some pages where students and educators can be searched:
- Updating a Student's Profile
- Adding an External ID to a Student's Account
- Reactivating a Student's Account
- Reactivating an Educator's Account
Searching for a Student and Educator by two or more names
When searching for a student or educator using names containing two or more search terms, the search engine uses “AND” between the search terms to return matching student and educator results that include ALL terms entered in the search.
Important Tips to Consider:
- Student and educator names can be copied from files and pasted into the search tool. The comma will be ignored, and all results will be returned.
- The order of the terms entered is not important.
For example, Stephanie Mitchell will return results of Mitchell, Stephanie and Stephanie, Mitchell.
- There are no partial matches when entering two or more search terms. Partial matches only works with one term.
For example, if "mitch" is entered in the search engine, the search will return all matches that include “Mitch” in the First Name, Last Name or Username.
- When two or more search terms are entered, the search focuses on the Last Name and First Name fields of a name. Entering two terms of different types of search fields does not return results.
For example, entering the Last Name of Dallas AND the external ID of 23453456 does not return matching results. When a user enters one term, the search will compare the different field types for a match.
|Term(s) Entered||Student and Educator Returned Results|
Mary Beth Smith
Smith, Mary Beth
Smith, Beth Mary
Beth Smith, Mary
Parker Doyle Smythe Allen
Smythe Allen, Parker Doyle
Doyle Smythe, Allen Parker
Allen Doyle, Parker Smythe
Doyle Parker, Allen Smythe
Parker, Allen Doyle Smythe
Parker, Allen Smythe Doyle
Names with Keyboard Special Characters
The search engine supports the use of keyboard special character(s) when searching for students and educators.
Special characters must be included in the search term when searching for a student who has a special character in their First name, Last name or Username.
|Term(s) Entered||Returned Results|
O'Hara and O'hara
Names with Alt-Codes
The search engine supports the use of alt-code character(s) when searching for students and educators.
The alt-code character must be included in the search term when searching for a student who has an alt-code character in their First name, Last name or Username.
|Desired Result||Term(s) Entered||Returned Results|
|Dëv~}ward, Jårgên||(Copy/paste) Jårgên Dëv~}ward||Dëv~}ward, Jårgên|
|Dëv~}ward, Jårgên||(Copy/paste) Dëv~}ward||Dëv~}ward, Jårgên|
|Dëv~}ward, Jårgên||Jargen||No results returned.|
Searching for students and educators using numbers and special characters, such as "Mhambly12*&^", will return results that contain those characters in the First Name, Last Name, Username, and External ID. The Assessment ID is included in the return results if the search was conducted from the Placement page.